strawberry pie

Monday, October 10, 2005

starvation and diet

Recently, on a TV show, I saw a man going on a no-eating diet. According to this TV show, a woman went on a one-week fast and then drank only water for a year. She was very healthy and the man tried the same diet. And this man didn't eat and even drink for four years. The man was healthy and he was even able to play tennis, but he didn't eat anything. The doctors said the man's body makes the nutritions the man needs by itself. But this diet isn't medicaly proved.
Now I started thinking why are there people starving to death in Africa, and a man alive without eating or drinking anything for four years. This is totally wierd. I do not believe that everything on the TV is true. But if the man is really alive without eating anything for years, then can't we apply this thing to the starvation problem and save the people in Africa and also in other countries?

3 Comments:

  • At 3:25 AM, Blogger Camphor said…

    There are people who claim not to have eaten for years at a stretch in India- but such people apparently survive off the will to live, and the power / energy that is present everywhere on earth. I do fast sometimes - and I know that without much physical and mental training, no one can fast for more than a day or two.

    If anything, this is not the answer to the starving-people problem. The answer for that is - provide food.

     
  • At 7:01 PM, Blogger alaina said…

    Thank you very much for the comment. I agree with you that the answer to solve the starvation problem is to provide food. And I was just suggesting that not eating may be one of the solutions. I wanted to introduce a unique way of thinking.
    This is because it is said that if everyone in the world eat like the American food culture, there will be a serious lack of food. Therefore, if we may not be able to provide food, what I wrote may be good. But I also think it will caust too much money to study how human make nutritions by themselves.

     
  • At 6:20 AM, Blogger sidewalker said…

    When I read your post, I was going to write just what camphor wrote. There is an over-production of food in the world (thus the obesity problem in the wealthier and hyper-commercialized parts of the world). No need for some people to forego the enjoyable taste of food and the culture of dining.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home